Friday 21 September 2012

Interesting Things Numbers Three, four, Five and Six

The thing projected looks like a portal from a simple platform video game, like an abstract notion of 'exit' at the end of a level, it could be anything so long as you understand that you go to it and you can leave. I find this image interesting because the contrast of the video game-like exit with the purposefully average looking exit door is like a pastiche of sci-fi stories where people get into cyberspace somehow and adventure ensues. It's interesting that this was communicated with such a clean, simple, method: projector and a camera. I can't find the original source unfortunately, I found it on tumblr.
I thought this was supposed to be armour decorated with the anatomy of the guts underneath which I thought was a really attractive poetic idea, I think I'm seeing it in terms of it being a really cool costume for a character to communicate how audacious/ foolhardy/ brave they must be. It's a very nice classical, old fashioned dramatic costume well established in culture, some roman armour but the hubris of putting metal guts on the front is so playful and sort of punky that it seems modern. Actually you could use the image of armour with metal guts on the front presented on it's own and that would communicate all that, you wouldn't even need a character. I find this interesting because it gives me a load of new methods of using anatomy in things to communicate, not necessarily using the idea in that image but just the stripped down idea of inner anatomy (and not the skeleton which is kind of overused) on objects, not people, but objects that maybe evoke a certain type of people.
This is a photo of a transmetatarsal amputation originally from this website http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/5835?page=6 It's a cross sectional view of a foot with the front removed. I actually thought it was an arm before I searched for it's original source, that it's a foot added extra interest. I hardly ever think about foot anatomy, they're actually quite evocative though, almost as much as hands, so knowing what the inside of one looks like seems useful. The whole image is interesting because it's a collection of powerful visual icons, like blood, the shape of a limb, the tendons, the bones, the fat, all the colours and that brown-orange iodine surgical disinfectant colour, you could use them in combinations with other things to communicate.

I find this interesting because I don't think I've ever seen a picture of salamanders before, or payed attention to one at least. The contrast between something you usually see in old/ old looking illustrations with seeing it in a photo, especially one with artifacts that give it some narrative (like, someone just found them in their back garden and thought they were so weird they had to take a photo, they were in such a hurry it's composed and lit chaotically and a bit blurry or the film was bad or something) is interesting. I also really like how rubbery they look, the texture of their skin is really strange, they look like creatures somebody made up, like swamp monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment