Wednesday 19 September 2012

Interesting Thing Number Two

This is a photo taken by me of a fish skeleton I found on a man made bank 'Hollow Pond Boating Lake' (vaguely ominous name I just found out) next to Epping Forest. I find it interesting because it's the biggest almost whole skeleton I've ever seen in the wild, also the experience of finding it was weird, the area around the boating lake is really geared up for visitors, not at all wild and full of people with children and yet someone or something caught and ate an animal there and left it's stinking remains lying there, it stuck out really gracefully. I wish I'd managed to capture that in the image, then talking about it would be relevant.
I think the look of the white clean bones and scrappy looking remains of it's tail make it look like a fossil, or something prehistoric. The colour of the ground helps that feeling, it was very red and not what I assosciate with modern nature somehow, it evokes big dry empty dramatic canyon valley sort of places. I thought how prominent and large the scales on the tail were made it look like someone's reputation of a fish not a real fish, you'd expect features to be more subtle in real life, the same goes for how clear anatomically the ribs and vertibrae are, I'm used to tiny, skinny, or half filleted out bones in fish. I purposely composed the image to look like a scientific record of my find, I've been into scientific illustration lately like this, centered and descriptive but with a bit of informality to it:

No comments:

Post a Comment