Saturday 25 August 2012

Holiday Project part 1

Those are the 9 A5 drawings for the first part of the holiday work, that was only meant to take 2 days, I've been stalling so much and finding thinking such an effort I probably took about a week if you include all the hours I did nothing much in. To get myself back into a decent state of motivation I'm going to try and do the next part of the project actually in the 2 days it's supposed to take. Apart from lack of motivation making me slow though, my style of working does tend to make me want to spend a lot of time on one drawing, 15 drawings in 2 days would probably leave me with 15 images I'm not happy with. I prefer making detailed, richer work and the only way I know how is to be slow. This is definately going to be an issue to overcome, which will be g enjoyable (I keep telling myself )':). Kind of interestingly, the image I think is least successful in the above picture is the bottom right one (maybe the top right one) which was not planned well, the thinking behind them was OK but not the execution and they're pretty detailed. The one I think was most successful is the second one down on the right, which is not really that detailed, just well planned. That tells me I need to get better at quickly thinking of ideas before making quick work.

Another point on this, the drawing second from the bottom on the left didn't take me long, was pretty enjoyable and I'm actually quite happy with it, I was going to add ink to it but the pencil on it's own actually looks OK in my opinion. I'm only a bit concerned I've copied some style I've seen before too closely in it by accident, because it does look familiar... Here's it up close:

























I worry that sometimes when I enjoy making work it's because I'm just copying something I've seen before which I enjoyed seeing.
Have learnt I like to be nonsensical though, and it's actually easier to communicate that way haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment